Friday, August 11, 2006

I ain't as country as I thought...

If ya'll remember in my post yesterday, that my dear friend gave me a mess of butterbeans and some okra right outta her garden. Well I found out that all beans you don't string. You deserve ever little bean you can muster of the bag full . I know now why my mama didn't make her little girl shell no butterbeans. It ain't that I was spoiled or loved too much, she knew if I had to shellem, I would throw one of them Hall hissy fits and today I know how right she was. I was known to "run away", jump on my bicycle and stay gone til sundown or I heard her a calling me. It takes a lot of them beans to make a mess. Nooooo no, no, rarely is their ever morn three beans in that pod! But bless Pat, if there was, one of'm was a bad bean. There is a big difference tween stringing a bean and shelling a bean. Like I shelled a whole bunch fore I knowed that one side is the easiest to get them suckers out of. You gotta use some psychology on them beans. And oh how thrilled I was when I would see one of the yellow, dried looking ones, those little butterbeans just jumped outta that shell. Now if all them beans were like that, I could be in shelling heaven instead of mending my broken nail enough to continue to shell enough for a mess.

Actually right now I am on a bean break. I know for a fact that a nail biter cannot shell butterbeans. You gotta have a thumb nail to get the dang bean started. Or at least, that was my finger of choice. I was shellin along and I be danged if I didn't break my shelling thumb's nail and besides that-- it is in the QUICK!. So I ain't shelling no more til I get good and ready. I was a hoping to have them for supper. I may make it and I may not.

Mama would be proud of me though, I so far ain't said a curse word, but I admit I came awful close. Course I only got about a good cup full shelled. I noticed there was a whole lot of beans in that bag and now I know why. Brenda wanted me to have a good mess so I would have leftovers, which I do like. Best I remember them crowder peas ain't this hard and they got more beans per shell. Also, as luck would have it, my hubby loves to string and I think shell beans, but he is at work. He has been only working 3 to 4 days a week all year and just the week my sweet friend gives me these butterbeans, he hasta work 5 days. Now folks that is what kinda luck I been telling ya about.

Me nor my dog ain't had no lunch yet, I really did want to get them beans ready and a cookin fore we ate, but it's not looking good right now or working out as planned, not that I should be surprised. So I'm going to put a bandaid on my thumb right now and fix me and my little Roxy some lunch. Then I shall return to the beans. Reckon I will try a little paring knife to pull the string and hope for the best and of course will expect and most apt to get the worst!

Thank you tho' Brenda for the beans. I still love you too! Good day to all you folks. ... Until...

God Bless!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would love to have been there when you were shelling those beans...bet you were fussing and snorting like crazy!! I hope you enjoy them, after breaking a nail and just generally going through all that torment I know you are thinking they better be GOOD!

Moobear said...

Thank you Paulette for the visit and comment, it ain't like we haven't emailed on and off for two days and also on the phone, but reckon beach bums are all nice, JUST like you.
Be safe, have fun at the beach and I will call you immediately ifn something on "our soap opera" as you call it, happens really big!
Love you too friend. Take care and bring me sumpin back...hehe J/K

God Bless

Clara....in TN said...

I sure do love them butterbeans, but I'm like you, I don't like to shell them. This post made me think of the summer of 2003. We had out a BIG garden with plenty of Turkey Craw Beans. My husband was busy picking when he had a heart attack. Some of our close friends came and helped me break those beans (not that day, but a couple days later) and they canned them for me. I called them my "Heart Attack Beans". Don't want any more beans like that....

Moobear said...

Can't say that I could like no Heart Attack Beans myself clara. Hate to hear about the hubby, hope he is doing well now. Mine had one in '99 but has been better for the wear. And sides, he is my now permanent bean stringer, shucker,sheller, etc. I like you clara, you are nice to carry them old folks to get their groceries and run their errands. But from now on, you just gotta listen when they tell ya they ain't got ALL their groceries, just cause you think they ain't ALL there, don't mean two ALL's make a right. :P~
Thank you friend for dropping in and btw, the days you don't post, I can't like it!
God Bless

Gattina said...

I get dizzy reading about your (Mr.) bean story ! I am far too lazy to do such work. I would offer them to a more housewifely friend and buy some already cleaned and ready to cook (or even to be warmed up, that's better).
Maybe fresh once are better, but what a work !

Clara....in TN said...

I got the post you left for me on your blog....about the heart attack beans and my grocery store experience. Thank You.... I miss you too when you don't "blog".